Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

The Outer Mountain Loop (OML) brings together new friends, Nov 15-18th 2019

• 33 Replies

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
Re: The Outer Mountain Loop (OML) brings together new friends, Nov 15-18th 2019
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2019, 03:02:52 PM »

Hahah. We were equal parts totally into it and laughing at ourselves. Here's the "behind the photo" shot.

I think it's beautiful. Something about it simultaneously captures the camaraderie, the craft, the optimism, and the whimsy of your group.  Just puts a smile on my face.

I have a few similar pics that feature my personal pack, my then-elementary-school-aged daughter's pack, and my then-kindergarten-aged son's pack lined up side-by-side like Goldilocks' graduated porridge bowls.  Someday I'm gonna frame one of those.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2019, 09:47:37 AM »
Easily one of the best photo-documented OML trip reports I have seen. Thanks for sharing. Evokes a lot of memories of doing that hike.

A few comments. One of the benefits of winter hiking in the park is the absence of insects and critters. So what you experienced was the norm for this time of the year.  Boot Spring is very easy to find if you know where to look; the back side of the cabin there is a sign and short trail that descends down into the canyon, look for the pipe with water trickling out of it. Shorts vs long pants, yes, this is always the debate however, if temps are above 70 degrees and full sun, long pants can get really hot, however you will sacrifice your legs especially if doing any off trail walking. So most folks wear pants with zip off legs for both situations.

Great job, thanks!

Offline dprather

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2019, 12:35:06 PM »
Truly outstanding trip report.  Many thanks.

Are you better friends for having made the trip together?
Leave "quit" at the car.  Embrace the trail as your friend.  Expect to enjoy yourself, and to be amazed.

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2019, 07:07:32 PM »

My young daughter always insisted that that boulder on the Colima Trail was a girl. "How can you tell?" I asked her. "'Cause she has a bow in her hair," she'd reply.

Anyhoo.....can you tell us more about the Lixada photovoltaic panel you use?  I'm in the market for a solar charger for backpacking and have some questions about the Lixada.  Does it connect directly to your iPhone via USB cable?  How durable and water-resistant is the connection?  How fast does it charge your phone?  Is the panel itself durable? How easy is it to strap to your pack and where do you strap it (top/side/back/all of the above)?  Thanks in advance for any info you can provide, Ridz.

Offline JRidz

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2019, 12:40:46 AM »
Thanks for the kind words about the report, Robert. I'm glad everyone is enjoying it so much. Definitely motivates me to make more as I explore more of the park.

A few comments. One of the benefits of winter hiking in the park is the absence of insects and critters. So what you experienced was the norm for this time of the year.  Boot Spring is very easy to find if you know where to look; the back side of the cabin there is a sign and short trail that descends down into the canyon, look for the pipe with water trickling out of it. Shorts vs long pants, yes, this is always the debate however, if temps are above 70 degrees and full sun, long pants can get really hot, however you will sacrifice your legs especially if doing any off trail walking. So most folks wear pants with zip off legs for both situations.

There was a cabin? Is it on the Pinnacles Trail before the Boot Canyon/Juniper Canyon junction? That's the one bit of the loop we didn't take since we got off on Colima and back on from Boot Canyon.

Yes, if it had gotten much warmer I would have definitely been missing not wearing shorts. Nice idea with the convertible pants.

Offline JRidz

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2019, 12:44:59 AM »
Are you better friends for having made the trip together?

This was one of the most wonderful parts. We all created a special bond from this trip and the camaraderie that developed was an integral part of what made this trip special.

Offline JRidz

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2019, 12:50:07 AM »
I think it's beautiful. Something about it simultaneously captures the camaraderie, the craft, the optimism, and the whimsy of your group.  Just puts a smile on my face.

I have a few similar pics that feature my personal pack, my then-elementary-school-aged daughter's pack, and my then-kindergarten-aged son's pack lined up side-by-side like Goldilocks' graduated porridge bowls.  Someday I'm gonna frame one of those.

This sums it up the moment wonderfully! And I'd love to see the porridge bowl packs. Passing down the love for the wilderness.

Offline JRidz

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2019, 02:18:15 AM »
My young daughter always insisted that that boulder on the Colima Trail was a girl. "How can you tell?" I asked her. "'Cause she has a bow in her hair," she'd reply.

Can't argue with that.

Regarding the Lixada, it does have a standard USB-A connection for the power output, using a standard USB cable. The panel itself is fully encased in a durable plastic or epoxy, but the USB port is exposed, so I wouldn't subject it to any moisture. On the Kumo, I have clipped it with mini biners to haul loops on the top of the pack. On my roll-top ZPacks pack, I simply slide it under the top strap and it tightens down fine. On both packs, I route the USB cable from the panel down through the hydration port of the pack and into a lithium battery bank.

The skinny on the actual use/effectiveness. First off, this is not a $100/1lb/40W name brand solar panel. This is a $15/3.5oz/3W generic. After seeing it pop up a couple of times on r/Ultralight and YouTube, I figured it was worth at least an experiment. The ideal would be if it could at least extend the capacity of a small power bank so that I could skip having to either stop to recharge the bank or take a larger capacity (ie heavier) bank on week+ trips where I could keep it exposed to direct sun access most of the day. The short answer is that it works! My experience assumes keeping only a headlamp and a phone charged. The headlamp is only used for evening camp chores (not night hiking) and the phone is in airplane mode and used for photography and periodic navigation. Conditions were mostly sunny and >80% direct sunlight exposure. The only way it will work this effectively is by charging a battery bank, since it can easily stop and start sending power depending on solar exposure. If its plugged directly into a phone, as soon as it's output dips to a certain level, the phone will stop charging until you reseat the cable.

There are two styles of these Lixada panels. The more rigid white one that I have and a wider, slightly lighter all black one. From what I've read, the white one is a little more rugged and the USB port is attached more securely.
https://www.amazon.com/Lixada-Effiency-Activities-Lighting-Monocrystalline/dp/B01MCXZJ8Y/
https://www.amazon.com/Lixada-Portable-Monocrystalline-Climbing-Activity/dp/B06Y655DJD/

A more thorough rundown.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ultralight/comments/d2vfdv/31_oz_solar_panel_review_jmt/

Pics of the panel on my packs.

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2019, 11:51:17 AM »
Thanks, Ridz!  That's exactly what I needed. Your technical writing skills are superb. I agree with Robert, you wrote one of the best documented and photographed OML trip reports ever. And this follow-up is equally well-thought out, detailed, and informative.  :notworthy:  Much appreciated.

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2019, 12:22:12 PM »
Here ya, go, Ridz......Goldilock s' porridge bowls from 2009.  Ages seven and four.

Offline Robert

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • He who limps is still walking. - Stanislaw J. Lec
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2019, 01:40:42 PM »
There was a cabin? Is it on the Pinnacles Trail before the Boot Canyon/Juniper Canyon junction? That's the one bit of the loop we didn't take since we got off on Colima and back on from Boot Canyon.

Yep, that would explain why you didn't see it.

Offline bkrier

• Roadrunner
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2019, 02:42:06 PM »
Great report. Did you have a bear can? We did the OML in early November and ran into 1 bear

Offline JRidz

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2019, 03:03:29 PM »
Here ya, go, Ridz......Goldilock s' porridge bowls from 2009.  Ages seven and four.

Ah, these are wonderful. I would definitely frame them. A photo is only worth as much as it's seen, as they say. Thanks so much for sharing such happy personal moments.

Offline JRidz

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2019, 03:10:09 PM »
Great report. Did you have a bear can? We did the OML in early November and ran into 1 bear

bkrier, no bear cans. We utilized the plentiful bear boxes up in the mountains and followed the ranger's guidance to sleep with our food next to us on the Dodson. Where did you encounter the bear?

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2019, 10:56:34 AM »
Ridz, one more question on the Lixada, if you don't mind. This one about robustness and durability:

I love the idea of strapping the panel to the top of the pack as you've done in this photo. I can also see possibilities of using my pack's compression straps to hold the panel vertically and tightly against the pack's back (say, when hiking through heavy brush).  My question is, how careful must you be when cinching?  My assumption is the panel is fairly fragile. Still, at it's low price, I figure it's worth a test.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!