Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

The Outer Mountain Loop (OML) brings together new friends, Nov 15-18th 2019

• 33 Replies

Offline bkrier

• Roadrunner
Re: The Outer Mountain Loop (OML) brings together new friends, Nov 15-18th 2019
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2019, 02:07:19 PM »
Encountered the bear on the Blue Creek trail. He was not aggressive towards us but was very interested in sniffing our packs for food. Were you using some kind of air tight bag for the food when you slept with it? I forget who had a bear rip into their tent recently- fortunately they were not in it. I was impressed with and thankful for the bear cabinets in the Chisos . I thought when the ranger told us (in our pre-hike counseling) we could keep our food in our tent, it was more so that the bear and other critters did not spread it all over Big Bend if we did not have a bear can. Nothing like a one time bear encounter to change my thinking- I'll be taking my 1+ lb bear can everywhere!
Great info on the Lixada- couldn't believe how light. Much lighter than my charging brick at least 3/4 lb.

Offline JRidz

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2019, 02:43:12 PM »
I love the idea of strapping the panel to the top of the pack as you've done in this photo. I can also see possibilities of using my pack's compression straps to hold the panel vertically and tightly against the pack's back (say, when hiking through heavy brush).  My question is, how careful must you be when cinching?  My assumption is the panel is fairly fragile. Still, at it's low price, I figure it's worth a test.

I actually wouldn't be too concerned about cinching down the version I have. The panel itself is sandwitched between two layers of thicker rigid plastic. I'm actually considering trimming off some of the corners/edges to save a little weight, probably on the end with the handle. Of course you would want to try to minimize how much of the panel is covered by straps and such.

More images and a video on Lixada's site. In the video you can see it compared with the all black version that is a bit more stripped down. https://www.lixada.com/p-l1505.html

Offline JRidz

• Kangaroo Rat
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2019, 04:01:50 PM »
Encountered the bear on the Blue Creek trail. He was not aggressive towards us but was very interested in sniffing our packs for food. Were you using some kind of air tight bag for the food when you slept with it?

After seeing all the bear claw damage at Homer Wilson, I can totally understand that concern. I used a large OpSak, which is an effective odor reducer (always going to be trace odors that contaminate the outside). I've had smaller critters crawl around on my pack and leave it alone with my smellables in the OpSak. It would also be a good environment for an UrSak, to save some weight. I may pick one of those up, since my only other option is my BV500, which is 2.5lb and only carried in the Sierra and other required locales.

I wonder if the bears actually wander down to the Dodson area. We didn't see any scat or other signs. If the Rangers were aware of any bears harassing people or their food out there, I'd think they would institute some stricter policies/bear cans.

Offline bkrier

• Roadrunner
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2019, 07:20:54 PM »
Thanks for info on OpSak

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2020 Big Bend Chat Calendar

2020 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!