Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

This past Friday through Monday in BBNP

• 11 Replies

Offline stingrey

• Animal Whisperer
  • Black Bear
  • I play for keeps 'cause I might not make it back.
    • Mother Nature Framed
This past Friday through Monday in BBNP
« on: May 10, 2019, 09:06:56 AM »
Big Bend National Park is my home away from home. To get there is easy. To get back is to come back to division among even those who I used to consider the best of friends. For some reason, words seem to divide us more and more, often in the name of peace. I, too, once was swayed by her beauty, the allure of teaming up with a brand of some sort to have an entire party standing with me when I spoke.

During this particular trip I played with a remote control car, helped a rattlesnake cross the road and I truly enjoyed what was out and about in the park from well after sundown to well before sunup and into the daytime hours as well. Some of the more interesting footage is shared in this clip, and at some point I will share the images here as well. In the meantime, Happy Mother's Day weekend and may all our travels be blessed with good fortune!

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
Re: This past Friday through Monday in BBNP
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 11:02:14 AM »
I like the license plate avatar

Offline tx1c

• Roadrunner
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 01:02:38 PM »
Thought I was about to hear some Foo Fighters.
Doesn't mean I was disappointed though. 

Offline Hookim

• Coyote
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 10:08:02 AM »
Where was that train?

Online Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 10:22:08 AM »
East of Langtry, that is Eagle Nest Creek.

Offline Hookim

• Coyote
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 10:44:26 AM »
East of Langtry, that is Eagle Nest Creek.
Thx!

The catchy ditty is stuck in my head.

Offline alan in shreveport

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 06:21:34 AM »
Great video Stingrey, the tune is indeed catchy, I like the idea of a female devil, (equal rights and all ).
You still have your animal-magnitism working, but it looks like you got kinda close to that rattler. Beautiful vistas .

Offline stingrey

• Animal Whisperer
  • Black Bear
    • Mother Nature Framed
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 11:11:54 AM »
Thanks! I still have "the touch" when it comes to spotting wildlife. I've found that depending on who I am with, that skillset can be magnified when I have an equally interested partner. Isn't that about how we sum up so much of our lives to begin with? Work, love etc? Anyway, if you are interested, here is a complete clip of the encounter with the rattlesnake:

In short this beautiful beast was sunning on the road and barely flinched when I passed by going in the opposite direction. I got out of the car to usher this creature along because I had not yet seen a roadkill rattlesnake over the miles and I was not about to allow one to happen on my watch knowing that I've seen NPS AND concessions employees swerve specifically to hit these creatures on occasion.

Also, I hope that all who continue to fly past me while I drive the 45mph posted speed limit have uneventful travels... But still I saw a number of roadkill snakes and rabbits along the way. More and more I've seen roadkill dogs of the coyote and fox variety and roadkill cats of the bobcat and mountain lion variety between locations. I wonder if it is a sign of some sort that wildlife has changed when we begin to see more canines and felines than we do deer or wild hogs between locations.

Online House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 05:08:39 PM »
That's an impressively-executed retreat he makes after reaching the brush at the side of the road. Snakes are amazing. Were you ever withing striking distance during his retreat?
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline Jalco

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 09:04:15 PM »
That's an impressively-executed retreat he makes after reaching the brush at the side of the road. Snakes are amazing. Were you ever withing striking distance during his retreat?

Makes you wonder if he's as scared of us as we are of him.....

Offline alan in shreveport

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
  • Guinness is Good for You
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 09:29:25 PM »
Thanks! I still have "the touch" when it comes to spotting wildlife. I've found that depending on who I am with, that skillset can be magnified when I have an equally interested partner. Isn't that about how we sum up so much of our lives to begin with? Work, love etc? Anyway, if you are interested, here is a complete clip of the encounter with the rattlesnake:

In short this beautiful beast was sunning on the road and barely flinched when I passed by going in the opposite direction. I got out of the car to usher this creature along because I had not yet seen a roadkill rattlesnake over the miles and I was not about to allow one to happen on my watch knowing that I've seen NPS AND concessions employees swerve specifically to hit these creatures on occasion.

Also, I hope that all who continue to fly past me while I drive the 45mph posted speed limit have uneventful travels... But still I saw a number of roadkill snakes and rabbits along the way. More and more I've seen roadkill dogs of the coyote and fox variety and roadkill cats of the bobcat and mountain lion variety between locations. I wonder if it is a sign of some sort that wildlife has changed when we begin to see more canines and felines than we do deer or wild hogs between locations.

Now I know you were to close, and those shoes don't look snake-proof to me !

Offline stingrey

• Animal Whisperer
  • Black Bear
    • Mother Nature Framed
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 11:22:39 AM »
Everyone is correct. Nothing I had on was snake proof. Neither was the snake car proof. In short (and in shorts), you can listen with or without audio so you can see and hear the entire controlled experience as it TRULY happened. This healthy example of non-roadkill rattlesnake only truly exhibited an "if I have to, I'll totally bite you" stance when it finally felt backed into a stronghold. Prior to that, this guy had just been laying in the street. I passed by in the opposite lane and parked safely up the road in a designated pullout.

Emergency lights on and all, I walked out of my vehicle knowing what I was about to "risk" doing. I was going to risk saving some of Big Bend's native wildlife, possibly at the risk of being cited for doing something "reckless" as is defined by the powers that we believe in. While recording the clip, I even went so far as to pan down and show that I was in sandals which are a bit more considerable than flip flips since they can't be "scooted out of" if I had to retreat in a hurry, but they are no more snake proof than the shorts I was in, if I was going to risk being struck on a lower extremity.

Thankfully as an adult who has been traveling to and from Big Bend regularly since I was twenty three (I'm now forty two) I was able to make a clear decision that weighed properly on my own conscious AND I was able to simultaneously capture an exquisite sample of a slithering serpent as it segued between one form of landscape to another and then to yet another in such a fluid manner that one would only truly wish harm upon this valuable form of life if they themselves were just slow to accept that all life does indeed matter.

The point is... IF this is a citable offense, don't go out of your way to report me. I was trying to be nice because wildlife is MY specialty and true love.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!