Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Trip report April 3-6. Twisted Shoe, Eastern Dodson, Juniper Canyon

• 8 Replies

Offline rking

• Coyote
Left Austin around 7AM Wed April 3.  Cold front was blowing through as I was leaving.  Ran into some pretty heavy thunderstorms just before Fredricksburg.  Poured off and on until Junction.  The temp kept dropping the further west I went and by the time I got to Ft Stockton it was 41 degrees and gusty north winds but the rain had stopped.  Good thing I switched from shorts to long pants right before I walked out the door to head out!  When I stopped in Ft Stockton to top off the tank I checked the current weather at PJ and the NWS was saying partly cloudy and 70.  As I turned south and headed to the park the weather kept improving as I got closer to the park.  It was beautiful by the time I arrived at PJ around 3PM.  Picked up a permit for 3 nights at Twisted Shoe.  I've camped up on the rim a couple of times but never in the desert so I wanted a little different perspective this time.  Loved Twisted Shoe!  Great site.  Nice views of the South Rim and Del Carmens.  There are some large boulders just behind the tent pad that are perfect for climbing up on and setting up a chair, tripod and your favorite beverage and watching the sunset on the Del Carmens.  I only saw one vehicle go by while I was there (Thursday late afternoon).  Maybe somebody caching water at Dodson TH?  Got up Thursday morning and did the eastern half of Dodson, to ET TH, then turned around and came back.  Saw no one all day.  Friday I did Juniper Canyon trail to Boot Canyon junction then came back down.  Juniper Canyon was either a lot steeper than I anticipated or my legs were tired from the Dodson the day before.  When I started out I was thinking about going past the BC junction on up to the rim for a little while, but I was so worn out when I got to the intersection I couldn't talk myself into another 1.5 miles one way to the rim.  I saw no one going up.  Met a young couple from Houston on the way down who said they were doing the entire OML.  Next time I desert camp, probably this fall or winter sometime, I plan on doing the western Dodson and Blue Creek.  Kind of a lazy OML I guess.  Got up Saturday morning and had an uneventful trip back to Austin. BiBe is like watching your favorite movie over and over.  No matter how many times you see it, with each viewing you see something that you hadn't noticed before.

Offline rking

• Coyote
Re: Trip report April 3-6. Twisted Shoe, Eastern Dodson, Juniper Canyon
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 10:14:42 AM »
A few more pics......

Offline rking

• Coyote
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 10:17:49 AM »
and.....

Offline kevint

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
    • Pictures
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 10:19:47 AM »
Rking,

I pasted a quote from your report on the Twisted Shoe thread.  If you have any pictures or information about the site itself that others could benefit from, please add.
-- Kevin (W5KLT)

"It's not an adventure until something goes wrong."  --Yvon Chouinard

Offline rking

• Coyote
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 10:43:06 AM »
Kevin,
            No problem.  I added a few more pics of the site to the TS1 thread.  Anything else you need let me know.

Ricky

Offline Homer67

• Passionate Backpacker
  • Black Bear
  • Be Amazing.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 11:49:22 AM »
I love it down there!  The views are great. 

When we did the OML we opted to start at the Dodson TH and skip the Basin; this meant one climb up the Chisos.  I prefer climbing Blue Creek over Juniper Canyon. We'll be passing through part of this area as part of a larger loop when we are next in the park this fall or next spring.
Ah Big Bend, we will soon return to reacquaint ourselves in our ritual of blood, exhaustion and dehydration. How can we resist the temptation to strip ourselves of the maladies of civilization?

Offline Casa Grande

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • Bending It Since 1991
    • Virtual Big Bend
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 11:59:13 AM »
BiBe is like watching your favorite movie over and over.  No matter how many times you see it, with each viewing you see something that you hadn't noticed before.

:bravo: well said indeed.

Good choice on campsite.  Twisted Shoe is probably at least in my Top 3 desert campsites, next to Fresno and Nine Point.

Great pics and report.

Offline kevint

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
    • Pictures
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 12:58:21 PM »
Kevin,
            No problem.  I added a few more pics of the site to the TS1 thread.  Anything else you need let me know.

Ricky
Looks great.
-- Kevin (W5KLT)

"It's not an adventure until something goes wrong."  --Yvon Chouinard

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 03:54:16 PM »
Nice shots, thanks for the report.   :eusa_clap:
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!