Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Trip Report - Outer Mountain Loop + Emory Peak - January 2012

• 18 Replies

Offline MetalMan

• Jack Rabbit
    • SeekingLost: Backpacking Adventures
Trip Report - Outer Mountain Loop + Emory Peak - January 2012
« on: August 23, 2012, 08:25:15 AM »
I posted this trip report on my site detailing my hike in Big Bend in January 2012. Long overdue, but better late than never:

http://metalbackpacker.com/trip-report-big-bend-national-park-tx-january-23rd-27th-2012/

Backpacking adventures and photography - http://seekinglost.com

*CDT Thru Hike starting April 21st 2018!*

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
Re: Trip Report - Outer Mountain Loop + Emory Peak - January 2012
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 09:16:26 AM »
Nice report -- and great cave pics in Blue Creek!

Glad you both survived.

It wasn't too long into your report before the similarities to A Walk in the Woods cropped up.

:icon_lol:

Everybody's got their own hiking style, but I think that excessive pack weights (60lbs!), combined with a constant state of minor-dehydration probably contributed to Dan's outlook on things.

Next time out, or for any inexperienced hiker doing the OML, I would suggest finding 15-20 lbs of stuff not to take. Also, I saw in the pics that on portions of the Dodson, it looked like Dan was packing his trekkiing poles, but not using them.  :eusa_think:

Was he hiking in jeans? Anyway, a lot of black clothing, and maybe excessive layers, might have contributed to the fatigue as well.

I would definitely allocate 4+ litres a day, rather than three. Petulance, lassitude, and fatigue are pretty reliable symptoms of dehydration. I've allowed myself to slip into this state a few times in hiking in BiBe, and everything seems twice as difficult when you're dehydrated.   :banghead:

I would also have utilized the water in Boot Canyon to lighten the loads, and, although I know it wasn't really a viable option in your case, I would try to cache water at the east Dodson trail head as well as at Homer Ranch.

Still -- you're both alive!  :icon_smile:

And it looks like (in general), a good time was had by all...

:eusa_clap:
John & Tess

"...and I'll face each day with a smile, for the time that I've been given's such a little while..." - Arthur Lee

Offline Buck

• Black Bear
  • Jose' is Lonely
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 09:21:54 AM »
Petulance, lassitude, and fatigue

Unwelcome traveling companions on more than one occasion indeed!

Nice trip report and presentation.  Are you $99 yearly subscriber or a $299 'forever' subscriber to Graphpaperpress?
"Hey, how 'bout a Fandango..?"

Offline trtlrock

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 09:51:45 AM »
MM -- I see you've been to Dolly Sods too. Nice hike with your Dad...

It's a great place:  http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/non-bibe-trip-reports/dolly-sods-roaring-plains-wilderness/msg81339/#msg81339

John & Tess

"...and I'll face each day with a smile, for the time that I've been given's such a little while..." - Arthur Lee

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 09:58:28 AM »
It is refreshing to read trail report from a first timer.  It makes me excited about the soon to come change in the weather and the hiking season to follow.  Congrates on a monster Big Bend hike.  Next time I'm in the car driving to a Big Bend I will remind myself of your 1700+ mile one way trip and quit complaining.
First Russian Collusion, then Obstruction, then illegal payment to Stormy Daniels, then tax returns subpoenaed. Now no formal vote on impeachment for a 30 min. phone call to Ukraine

No crime. No evidence, just more secret investigations

Drain the Swamp.  America will survive.  God Bless America

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Old enough to know better, but...
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 10:50:41 AM »
Very nice post, Metal Man! 

Just a couple of things, for future reference:

--As long as you take it slowly, or unless it has been raining recently, your passenger car can most likely make it to the Juniper-Dodson junction.  I've done it twice in a Toyota Camry.

--While the Lodge is the only restaurant in the park itself, there are a number of others in nearby Terlingua (which is worth visiting in its own right).

I sympathize with your friend's troubles.  Of all the established hikes in the park, the OML is not only the longest, but the toughest (excpt, maybe, for Mesa de Anguila).
Wake me when it's time to go.

Offline fartymarty

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Lovin' BiBe for 50 years.
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 11:46:00 AM »
Great report MetalMan!
As you can imagine there have been quite a few OML photos posted over the years on this board. However, amongst some great photos...this one really stands out in it's uniqueness. I don't think I've seen any other OML photo that looks so un-Big Bend like. Very well done and I'm glad you walked over there to explore.

Fort Worth

Offline Homer67

• Passionate Backpacker
  • Black Bear
  • Be Amazing.
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 12:10:35 PM »
I dig the caves along Blue Creek.  That one is very nice!  We've checked it out in April 2011, but we skipped past it when we did the OML in Nov 2011.

Cave along Blue Creek  April 2011 by Superhomer670, on Flickr

We wore jeans and hauled heavy packs, too.  We took our time and it was a pleasant week! We started at the Dodson trailhead and skipped the Basin; we only had to climb the Chisos once, which was one advantage that sort of fell in our lap.  Man!  The OML was a golden time for us as well!

Great report.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 03:37:44 PM by Homer67 »
Ah Big Bend, we will soon return to reacquaint ourselves in our ritual of blood, exhaustion and dehydration. How can we resist the temptation to strip ourselves of the maladies of civilization?

Offline kevint

• Golden Eagle
  • Black Bear
    • Pictures
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 12:19:34 PM »
Loved this picture and apparently I'm not alone.

http://metalbackpacker.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/IMG_0364.jpg
-- Kevin (W5KLT)

"It's not an adventure until something goes wrong."  --Yvon Chouinard

Offline Buck

• Black Bear
  • Jose' is Lonely
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 12:52:49 PM »
That shot reminded me of this one from another part of the park...

"Hey, how 'bout a Fandango..?"

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 01:22:46 PM »
Awesome job MM, never too late to give us a trip report, just look at Buck he is just now giving us reports from the '90's  :icon_wink:
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline Lance

• Black Bear
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 09:20:45 AM »
I posted this trip report on my site detailing my hike in Big Bend in January 2012. Long overdue, but better late than never:

Great trip report MetalMan!  Especially loved the cave shots! Need to explore there some time.
Didn't realize there was a small cave under the Alfred Hitchcock rock in Blue Creek.  So much to explore, so little time. Here's a shot from Blue Creek when I did the OML in March, 2010.  Alfred Hitchcock rock on the left..

Blue Creek - FULL SCREEN VERSION
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 05:21:56 PM by Lance »

Offline Homer67

• Passionate Backpacker
  • Black Bear
  • Be Amazing.
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 11:37:36 AM »
There are a number of caves in this area of Blue Creek.  We've only checked out the one, but here is a photo of another good sized adit we'd like to check out sometime...perhaps later than our trip planned in October:

Another Blue Creek Cave  April 2011 by Superhomer670, on Flickr
Could the Spanish gold be hidden in these caves?

I really dig the Blue Creek trail; I think it is an oft-overlooked gem.  I love the Red Rocks portion of the hike; I especially like what I call "The Old Maiden":

"The Old Maiden"  April 2011 by Superhomer670, on Flickr

I don't think this formation is formally called the Old Maiden, it's just what it looks like to me. Here are more shots of the Red Rocks formations:

1104120134 by SuperHomer67, on Flickr

Alfred Hitchcock!  I see it!

Alfred Hitchcock!  April 2011 by Superhomer670, on Flickr
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 03:39:52 PM by Homer67 »
Ah Big Bend, we will soon return to reacquaint ourselves in our ritual of blood, exhaustion and dehydration. How can we resist the temptation to strip ourselves of the maladies of civilization?

Offline MetalMan

• Jack Rabbit
    • SeekingLost: Backpacking Adventures
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 11:07:40 AM »
!Thanks everyone for the replies and I'm glad you enjoyed reading about our trip!

Nice report -- and great cave pics in Blue Creek!

Glad you both survived.

It wasn't too long into your report before the similarities to A Walk in the Woods cropped up.

:icon_lol:

Everybody's got their own hiking style, but I think that excessive pack weights (60lbs!), combined with a constant state of minor-dehydration probably contributed to Dan's outlook on things.

Next time out, or for any inexperienced hiker doing the OML, I would suggest finding 15-20 lbs of stuff not to take. Also, I saw in the pics that on portions of the Dodson, it looked like Dan was packing his trekkiing poles, but not using them.  :eusa_think:

Was he hiking in jeans? Anyway, a lot of black clothing, and maybe excessive layers, might have contributed to the fatigue as well.

I would definitely allocate 4+ litres a day, rather than three. Petulance, lassitude, and fatigue are pretty reliable symptoms of dehydration. I've allowed myself to slip into this state a few times in hiking in BiBe, and everything seems twice as difficult when you're dehydrated.   :banghead:

I would also have utilized the water in Boot Canyon to lighten the loads, and, although I know it wasn't really a viable option in your case, I would try to cache water at the east Dodson trail head as well as at Homer Ranch.

Still -- you're both alive!  :icon_smile:

And it looks like (in general), a good time was had by all...

:eusa_clap:

Our packs were around 60lbs when we left, but 20lbs of that was water. Anywhere else and we'd have 45lb packs (carrying approx. 5lbs of later). Dan's problem was that he thought this was going to be easy, and didn't train ONCE before the trip. I told him that he needed to do some running, stair climbs, etc but he didn't make time for it. An hour after leaving the parking lot, after we'd hit the first real inclines on the Laguna Meadows trail, is where Dan started having problems. Granted out packs were heaviest at this point, we were also the most rested and hydrated than any other time on the trail. Dan simply was not ready for the level of physical activity that hiking a trail like this requires. Dan came with me on another trip to the Gila Wilderness of New Mexico 4 months later, and although he did *some* training for this one (and knew how physically demanding backpacking can be), he still had a very hard time with it.

Dan might have been packing his trekking poles from time to time, I do not recall. He used them most of the time, as I did too, but occasionally we strapped them to our backpacks. He has NOT wearing jeans though.

Petulance, lassitude, and fatigue

Unwelcome traveling companions on more than one occasion indeed!

Nice trip report and presentation.  Are you $99 yearly subscriber or a $299 'forever' subscriber to Graphpaperpress?

Neither... you can download this theme for free on the graphpaperpress website!

MM -- I see you've been to Dolly Sods too. Nice hike with your Dad...

It's a great place:  http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/non-bibe-trip-reports/dolly-sods-roaring-plains-wilderness/msg81339/#msg81339

Nice pictures! Some really great fall colors in there. The Dolly Sods was a cool place, very unique and overall just a great hike.

It is refreshing to read trail report from a first timer.  It makes me excited about the soon to come change in the weather and the hiking season to follow.  Congrates on a monster Big Bend hike.  Next time I'm in the car driving to a Big Bend I will remind myself of your 1700+ mile one way trip and quit complaining.

Thanks! I am becoming accustomed to long drives to go hiking as there is absolutely nothing in my area (Detroit). The midwest does not have much to offer hikers, at least not on the scale of bibe. So far this year, I've driven to Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, and West Virgina for separate backpacking trips, as well as a non backpacking trip to Florida. 21k miles driven this year and it's only August!

The drive may be long but it adds to the experience for me. Not to say that I enjoy cross country drives, but something about it adds a real sense of adventure to the whole trip.

Great report MetalMan!
As you can imagine there have been quite a few OML photos posted over the years on this board. However, amongst some great photos...this one really stands out in it's uniqueness. I don't think I've seen any other OML photo that looks so un-Big Bend like. Very well done and I'm glad you walked over there to explore.

Thank you, glad you like the photo. Exploring things like this along the trail is what makes these hikes so enjoyable for me, and this really boosted Dan's spirits as well. If you don't stop to explore, why bother hiking in the first place?

That shot reminded me of this one from another part of the park...

Cool photo... where was this one taken?

Awesome job MM, never too late to give us a trip report, just look at Buck he is just now giving us reports from the '90's  :icon_wink:

Haha, well now I don't feel too bad. And I thought I had a hard time recalling my trip from memory!

There are a number of caves in this area of Blue Creek.  We've only checked out the one, but here is a photo of another good sized adit we'd like to check out sometime...perhaps later than our trip planned in October:

Another Blue Creek Cave  April 2011 by Superhomer670, on Flickr
Could the Spanish gold be hidden in these caves?

I really dig the Blue Creek trail; I think it is an oft-overlooked gem.  I love the Red Rocks portion of the hike; I especially like what I call "The Old Maiden":

"The Old Maiden"  April 2011 by Superhomer670, on Flickr

I don't think this formation is formally called the Old Maiden, it's just what it looks like to me. Here are more shots of the Red Rocks formations:

1104120134 by SuperHomer67, on Flickr

Alfred Hitchcock!  I see it!

Alfred Hitchcock!  April 2011 by Superhomer670, on Flickr

Nice pics! I would have loved to explore more of this area too, but it seems there is never enough time to do so!

Backpacking adventures and photography - http://seekinglost.com

*CDT Thru Hike starting April 21st 2018!*

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 08:58:15 PM »
This is one hell of a Trip report, and like all that picture of you inside of that cave is a killer shot. Nuff Said!!!.
Stay thirsty, my friends.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!