Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Marufo Vega Trail, Randallís Overlook, and the Quest for Curlyís Gold

• 26 Replies

Offline Jim

• Black Bear
  • Visiting BBNP since 1975
Re: Marufo Vega Trail, Randallís Overlook, and the Quest for Curlyís Gold
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 03:55:30 PM »
When you check in at PJ, ask for a Marufo Vega Trail map. They have updated these and are actually pretty decent. It will show the pack trail vs. the actual MV trail which goes up that quartz hill in the first quarter of the loop.
Do you still have your copy? Any chance you could scan it and post?
I found this on my computer (file date of 2001).  Not sure if it is still the one they hand out for Marufo Vega.

Offline jasonmerlo

• Roadrunner
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2018, 04:49:16 PM »
Iím planning on doing MV-RO on Saturday. Iíve got two different tracks saved in Gaia. Now Iím wondering which is easier. Both end up in the same wash but the point they exit the MV is different. Mind posting your track?

Look through this thread: http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/hiking-the-desert-of-big-bend/randells-overlook/msg158176/#msg158176

Im going to attach my .kmz of what I used. I got all my tracks from searching the forums.

Regarding the trip, if you are going to do MV-RO all at once, I would take the pack trail leading up to the wash going to RO. I wouldn't try to hump it up the big quartz hill in the first quarter of the trip. I would take the pack trail which is a little easier. Take the quartz hill coming back. Dump your pack somewhere in the wash and do the mile and change without the pack. Then pick it back up on your way out. When you check in at PJ, ask for a Marufo Vega Trail map. They have updated these and are actually pretty decent. It will show the pack trail vs. the actual MV trail which goes up that quartz hill in the first quarter of the loop. I would really like to hear about your experience when you get back... Its really under my skin that I didn't get there.

I think I can see the pack trail in Google Earth. Thanks for the tip. I'll try to post when I get back next week.

Offline jasonmerlo

• Roadrunner
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2018, 04:54:56 PM »

Look through this thread: http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/hiking-the-desert-of-big-bend/randells-overlook/msg158176/#msg158176

Dump your pack somewhere in the wash and do the mile and change without the pack. Then pick it back up on your way out.

Good advice. I have always found that dumping one's pack whenever possible, and picking it up on return after an out-and-back dayhike, makes a HUGE difference.

Best of luck, Jason!

thank you!

Offline TXbywayofMS

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2018, 06:44:39 PM »
Do you still have your copy? Any chance you could scan it and post?

I tried to get as much of the map on one scan. Its an awkward length and some of the shading doesnt pick up as good to get into the constraints of the file size. But the date on it is 2017.

Offline TXbywayofMS

• Jack Rabbit
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2018, 06:48:54 PM »
The map looks way better than the scan. On the back there is general info about locking your doors at the trailhead and packing enough water so you don't fry your brains. It also says that if you take any psilocybin, bring a partner and wait for the spirit horse.  :great:

Offline Flash

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2018, 07:12:39 PM »
Since we are all dragging out stuff from the archives, let me submit a slightly newer version than Jim's.

This version shows a bit more detail, i.e. indicating the option of taking the Strawhouse Trail along the wash bottom.

- Flash

Offline House Made of Dawn

• www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2YJduDyFA4
  • Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Backpacking since '78, Big Bend since '95.
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2018, 07:39:58 PM »
It also says that if you take any psilocybin, bring a partner and wait for the spirit horse.  :great:

:rolling:
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

Offline fartymarty

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Lovin' BiBe for 50 years.
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2018, 09:28:25 PM »
We made it about a 3rd of the way and decided that getting stuck with every step in the heat with full packs on wasnít something that we wanted to endure anymore.

I feel your pain on this. In my first attempt (in March) I was so hot and sore when I tried to backpack in, that I turned around  :-[ :icon_redface: :'( at the base of the switchbacks up the rock wall (that's what I call it anyway). Very discouraging it was. The next day bright and early I headed back in a day hike mentality with my trusty Mylar taped on covered umbrella and made it to the overlook. I ended up just a bit west of the perfect spot but it was close enough for this trip. On the way back down the valley from the overlook is when I put a thorn right through the toe of my boot. I was alone so there was nobody to hear my crying or to stare holes through the back of my head in anger. In October of that year I hiked it with a friend (SA Bill) that loves the park as much as I do and it was a very enjoyable hike. It was also cooler, I had much better boots (thanks to advice from this board), and on the way out Bill found the round rubber thingie (snow basket? really? ???) from one of my trekking poles that I had lost in March. What are the odds?

I'd say you done good, but I guess I should say you done well. You accomplished quite a bit in an overcrowded park (by our standards), you had fun, and you took some great photos. So chin up and try again in October or later, as a day hike. You'll be glad you did. (especially if you find the gold  ;))

The entire park was completely full on 2/24 at noon.

Doesn't give much hope for those headed out during spring break. Yeeach!

Fort Worth

Offline badknees

• Actually, I was there once
  • Mountain Lion
  • I think I know that place
    • Through the Mirror
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2018, 07:51:53 AM »
Iím planning on doing MV-RO on Saturday. Iíve got two different tracks saved in Gaia. Now Iím wondering which is easier. Both end up in the same wash but the point they exit the MV is different. Mind posting your track?

Sent from my iPhone using Big Bend Chat

I'm confused. I understand that the heat can be an issue on the MV trail, but the hike from the MV trailhead to RO is not very difficult. From the MV trailhead, it is about 3 miles of on trail travel til the exit point. There is only one logical place to head off trail. From there it is about 1 mile to the overlook. The last 1/2 mile is a little steep, but nothing arduous.

Not all those who wander are lost.
Ė J.R.R. Tolkien

Through the Mirror
http://mirrormagic.com

Offline jasonmerlo

• Roadrunner
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2018, 07:55:53 AM »

I'm confused. I understand that the heat can be an issue on the MV trail, but the hike from the MV trailhead to RO is not very difficult. From the MV trailhead, it is about 3 miles of on trail travel til the exit point. There is only one logical place to head off trail. From there it is about 1 mile to the overlook. The last 1/2 mile is a little steep, but nothing arduous.
These are what I have. Having never been there I canít comment on the one that exits further up the MV.

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2018, 09:26:15 AM »

These are what I have. Having never been there I canít comment on the one that exits further up the MV.

The southern route is the easiest and most commonly used.  You do have to climb around a short pouroff but it is not big deal.  The other route is, I think, Randell's original way in.
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline SA Bill

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2018, 07:59:08 PM »
fm - that trek to the overlook is still one of my fondest memories from all of my trips out. Thank you so much for being my guide out there.
  Bill

Bill - In San Antonio

Growing old is mandatory.
Growing up is optional.

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!