Friends of Big Bend National Park
Big Bend Conservancy

Over-estimating your experience or under-estimating the terrain in a place like Big Bend can result in serious injury or death. Use the information and advice found here wisely. Climb/Hike/Camp/Drive at your own risk.

+-Calendar for sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!

Water, water, water everywhere......

• 16 Replies

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
  • The road goes on forever & the party never ends...
Water, water, water everywhere......
« on: February 25, 2012, 11:45:40 PM »
Made a trip out to the park last weekend, and what a time to be there!  We got a little of EVERYTHING weather wise.  I was there to take a group out on their first visit to the park.  The plan was for the Outer Mountain Loop. 

We arrived at the park on the afternoon of Thursday the sixteenth.  As we reached the Basin, a slow light rain started.  It quickly turned into much more.  Thunder, lightening, wind, and heavy rain.  It rained enough that water actually started flowing through the campground.  It was such a wonderful and welcoming site!  But it only lasted about 15 minutes.  After the rain stopped, we spent some time going through gear and making sure everyone was ready for the next few days.  Then the wind started picking up again, which was quickly followed by HAIL!  Enough hail came down to turn the ground white.  To bad the camera was in the truck and we were taking shelter under the picnic table cover.  The rain came back again with a vengeance.  Again it didn't last too long.  We had dinner and crawled into the tents.  Through out the night, rain and lightening would come and go.  It was an amazing show.

The next morning was clear when we awoke.  As we were breaking down camp, fog started rolling in up through the window.  We were quickly enveloped in fog.  Fog filled most of the basin and then started to retreat back out of the window.  The rest of the day as we climbed the Pinnacles Trail, the window had fog hanging around.  The Basin was clear, but you could see the desert below and north of the Basin remained fogged in.  Occasionally, you could see the Christmas Mountains poking through.

From Boot Canyon, you could see the clouds hanging low in the desert and the Del Carmens peaking up in the distance.  There was so much moisture in the air, it actually felt humid!

After setting up camp at Colima, we hiked out to the South Rim.  Boot Spring was still dry, though the pools along Boot Canyon had gotten a good recharging.  There was actually a small amount of water running between the pools.  There was water all the way up to where the trail crosses the wash for the last time.

That night we went to bed at 9:30 under a clear sky after watching the stars.  At 11:00 here it came again.  Thunder, lightening, and pouring rain.  The lightening was so bright.  A couple hours later I woke up and heard a light misting rain hitting the tent, and quickly fell back asleep.  At 5 am, I was awakened by the side of the tent collapsing onto my face.  "What the hell?"  I could feel something leaning against the tent......  I gave it a push and felt something go sliding off the tent, SNOW!  I shook of the vestibule and could see it coming underneath.  I stuck my head out to a winter wonderland and snow coming down sideways.  I crawled back in my bag for a couple more hours of sleep.  The next morning we were treated to a rare and wonderful site.

With the rain earlier in the night and all the snow, we were concerned about the condition of the trails.  The plan for the day was to go down Juniper Canyon and then a few miles onto the Dodson.  With the steepness of Juniper Canyon and the distance we had planned to cover, we decided to change our plans.  We head back to the Basin along the Laguna Meadows trail.

This is where the western end of the Colima trail meets up with South Rim trail.  Notice there isn't a single footprint along the trail.

I had some wonderful views of the sun setting as I drove to Juniper Canyon to retrieve the water we had cached and planned to pick up during our OML hike.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 12:31:56 AM by TexasAggieHiker »

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
Re: Water, water, water everywhere......
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 12:26:46 AM »
After reaching the Basin we changed our plans and our permit.  We'd spend the next two days on the Marufo Vega.

The weather for the next two days was PERFECT!  Clear beautiful skies and temps in 70s.  Though still in the grips of the drought, there were still signs from the last couple days of rain.  A few pools of water along the trail, some plants beginning to green up, and some small flowers blooming.

Saw several horses as well, both on the trail and along the river.

This one didn't fare quite as well.

Even got to take a few night shots.

Even though the OML didn't happen, still turned out to be a GREAT trip.  And getting to see such a wide range of weather was a real treat. 

Offline Al

• Dog Face Moth
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 02:00:33 AM »
You covered a LOT of ground, took exceptional pictures and documented the incredible variability of Texas weather all in one week.  Well done!

Al

P.S.  Gig 'em Aggies! 

Offline Lance

• Black Bear
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 06:42:08 AM »
Agreed, well done!  I love the snow shots, especially the campground ones.  I've yet to get to experience snow on the trail like that.  Thanks for sharing!

Offline elhombre

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 08:22:31 AM »
Can't beat a good snow in the desert.   :great:
First Russian Collusion, then Mueller, then Obstruction, then illegal payment to Stormy Daniels, then tax returns. Now no formal vote on impeachment for a 30 min. phone call to Ukraine

No crime. No evidence, just more secret investigations

Drain the Swamp.  America will survive.  God Bless America

Offline dkerr24

• Mountain Lion
  • The worst day hiking > the best day in a cubicle.
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 08:24:22 AM »
Wow, what a variety of weather!  You saw 4 seasons of weather in only a few days. :)

Darin

Offline homerboy2u

• The Chipewa Cris tribe,Canada:
  • Mountain Lion
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 08:49:46 AM »
Man...what weather shots. I have not seen a more complete weatherwise Trip Report of the Desert, than this one.

The snow camp shots are just out of the park...they happen to be my favorite type of camping.

Awsome AggieHiker
Stay thirsty, my friends.

Offline Stevieray

• Jack Rabbit
  • Spring is nature's way of saying, "Let's party!"
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 11:08:29 AM »
Great photos, thanks for posting! We hiked Emory on the 20th and the snow was still pretty heavy on the trail.

Offline catz

• Golden Eagle
  • Mountain Lion
  • Old enough to know better, but...
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 11:31:22 AM »
Thanks!!
Wake me when it's time to go.

Offline ambersdad

• Diamondback
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 08:01:36 AM »
Sounds like a great trip! Must have been like a dream with the snow in the Chisos.

How did you hike the Marufa Vega? Which part of the loop did you take down to the river?   
Having decent gear is nice, but wildlife photography is knowing your subject and getting lucky, and I love getting lucky.
https://www.facebook.com/randy.jones.33234
http://randyswildlifeandnaturephotography.com/

Offline TexasAggieHiker

• Mountain Lion
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 09:02:43 PM »
Thanks everyone!  We got really lucky to experience the weather that we did.  Great timing to get the snow pictures!

How did you hike the Marufa Vega? Which part of the loop did you take down to the river?
Always love doing the Marufo Vega!  We took the south fork to the river and then the north fork back up.  I enjoy coming up the north fork canyon

Offline mule ears

• Administrator
  • Mountain Lion
  • "He had to leave Texas but won't say why" McMurtry
    • 40 years of walking
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 07:11:15 AM »
Great trip TAH, it is lucky and amazing for those folks to see snow in the desert.  Looked like maybe 3 inches?  I'm sure you would have been OK continuing on the OML but that climb up the first part of the Juniper canyon trail might have been a bit slippery.

How is the guiding business going?
temperatures exceed 100 degrees F
minimum 1 gallon water per person/day
no shade, no water
http://40yearsofwalking.wordpress.com/

Offline ambersdad

• Diamondback
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 07:31:30 AM »
Always love doing the Marufo Vega!  We took the south fork to the river and then the north fork back up.  I enjoy coming up the north fork canyon

Thanks! I'm looking forward to doing it very soon.
Having decent gear is nice, but wildlife photography is knowing your subject and getting lucky, and I love getting lucky.
https://www.facebook.com/randy.jones.33234
http://randyswildlifeandnaturephotography.com/

Offline Voni

• Diamondback
    • Voni and Paul
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 07:35:51 AM »
I'm so glad not only that you were here but that you documented it so well to share!

THANKS!!

Voni
  sMiling
Live deeply, laugh fully, love widely
Terlingua, TX

http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
   photo site:  http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a326/VoniGlaves/

chisos_muse

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 08:24:43 AM »
Wonderful photos and a great report!!  :great:

©COPYRIGHT NOTICE

All photographs and content posted by members are to be considered copyrighted by their respective owners and may not be used for any purposes, commercial or otherwise, without permission.

+-Calendar For Sale

2019 BigBendChat Calendar on sale now!